Thursday, February 08, 2007

So sleeping for 11 hours usually gives me crazy dreams, and tonight was no exception. I woke up completely overwhelmed and out of breath. Usually when I try to explain this situations I end up losing a lot in translation, but I'll do my best.
Esentially the dream was about the women in my life. Don't get the wrong idea, it wasn't even remotely sexual. It was about my past and present relationships. Women I've loved, dated, fucked, faught, etc, all set to some sort of music montage that outlined my life to date. I would hope that most people could see how this is kinda heavy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm 110% happy in my current relationship, but the nostalgia and repressed feelings of days gone by are usually enough to make me emotional. I'm such a sickeningly sentimental person, and regardless of whether the memories are postive or negative, it's all a part of my life, important to me, and relevant to how I've turned out as a person.
The music was what put the biggest dent in my psyche. You know how you can hear a certain song and it'll take you back to that exact moment in time where it meant the most? That's what this was, a soundtrack to my life, as compared to the women I've cared for.
From Nine Inch Nails to Live, to Arilibido and Dashboard Confessional, to Incubus and STP, to Death from Above, Metric, Death Cab for Cutie, and Smashing Pumpkins.
It got me to thinking about a lot of things, people and opportunities I missed, where I am and where I could be, and how essential music has been in my life.
I decided I'd like to make a soundtrack to my formative years. Not just "what I was listening to" but more towards songs that can make me close my eyes and remember where I've been, and what I've done. Not just songs that make me think about girls, either, songs that can make me think of a time, a person, a time of year, or a state of mind.
Obviously I have a pretty good internal catalogue of songs that can take me back, but what I'd like to request is if there's a song that reminds you of me, or time you spent with me, plug it in underneath here, and I will give it wholehearted consideration.
Thanks.

9 Comments:

Blogger a said...

I believe we've already discussed that if we got married we'd listen to MOS DEF.

Have a song for me, there, hotrod?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Cory G said...

I'd hope you would put Short Skirt Long Jacket on there for me big fella.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eve5 Inside out
KoRn Blind
Disturbed Stupify

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that Eve5 should be Eve6, in case nobody caught that.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why are you in the hospital? what did Calgary do to you?

and if "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" isn't on your soundtrack, don't bother coming home.

j/k...please come home--and make a facebook.

DEMANDS

5:10 PM  
Blogger a said...

i second the facebook thing!


//INTERNERD

3:26 PM  
Blogger Chelsea Van Tol said...

he wasn't in the hospital - I was.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Chufre said...

hmm, three other easy ones... Spit it Out - Slipknot, Judith - APC, Korn - Lowrider (6000 waterbomber)

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also:

Maroon 5 - She will be loved

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home