Tuesday, April 13, 2004

La musique: I'm afraid of Americans- David Bowie

I feel somewhat obligated to explain my distaste for Americans.
It's hard for me to justify it without sounding like a stereotypical asshole. Mostly because to a certain extent, I am. Though instead of basing my opinions on a select few I've dealt with, this is a LARGE motherfucking majority.
For starters is doesn't help that America's elected leader is bordering on insane. He's all about getting ahead at the expense of other things (human rights, natural resourses, economic prosperity, etc.) I could back this up, but this is a blog entry, not a paper. The fact that this is the man representing Americans does not bode well for my (or many others') opinions of the populous. Queue the Secret Service knocking on my door.
I have found most Americans I've dealt with the be rather ignorant, close minded, and extremely ethnocentric. The stats don't lie:
-Only 2% of Americans can name Canada's prime minister.
-40% of Americans haven't read a book since they left school, and the same percentage say they don't follow international news because they don't think what happens outside the U.S. can possibly affect them.
But I digress...
There's other little things like sports rivalries, idiots that call here and yell at me because they have the wrong number, and so on.
That being said. Saying all Americans are alike is like saying all Canadians are against the war in Iraq. To say I hate all Americans would be displaying all the traits I'm criticizing. To conclude, I'm down with Americans (and people in general) who aren't fucking idiots.
End Tirade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home